◄ English pages through HOME Submenu ►
BIO / PRESS
José Luis Madueño is a Peruvian musician that develops his art within several musical styles with afroperuvian and andean genres as his main goals, introducing them into traditional and contemporary forms through jazz, classical and world music. He has accomplished a unique sound - as composer and arranger as well as performer - that touches the audiences through his recordings and live performances across the globe. His music has been reviewed by the international magazines like Jazztimes, Jazziz and Latin Beat.
He begun his classical piano studies when he was 8 years with Graciela Vasquez. Functional Harmony, Arrangement and Orchestration with his father Jorge, Classical piano with Luisa Negri - Claudio Arrau's student - and Traditional Harmony and Counterpoint with Enrique Iturriaga.
Jose Luis plays different roles in the music business: as piano and keyboards performer, playing as soloist and for other artists; as Producer, Composer and Arranger in Recordings, Performances, Movies, Dance, Theater and Television. Likewise he is a well known music teacher in Peru giving private lessons and workshops.
Beside piano and keyboards, his main instruments, he also plays classical guitar, flute, quena, pan flute, peruvian cajon, percussion and he has a rising career as vocalist. He has performed at jazz, latin and world music festivals in Peru, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Cuba, Venezuela, Mexico, USA, Spain, Norway, France and Sweden.
• Winner of the second prize at the II Latin Jazz Contest organized by SGAE and Fundación Autor (Cuba, 2000) with his composition "Reencuentros" promoting afroperuvian music and its traditional instruments (cajón, cajita, quijada).
• Winner of the second prize with his afroperuvian composition "En el rincón" at the III Latin Jazz Contest organized by SGAE and Fundación Autor (Cuba, 2002), as part of the La Habana Jazz Festival.
• His albums Wayruro and Chilcano promoting different peruvian musical styles have influenced other peruvian and foreign artists since 1996. Featuring Alex Acuña, John Patitucci, Steve Tavaglione, Pedro Eustache, Mathew Garrison, among other musicians.
• Owner and Director of an independent music label named Quinto Pulso where he publishes his and other peruvian artists works with alternative musical styles.
• He has performed and recorded with some international artists like: Susana Baca, Juan Diego Flórez, Tania Libertad, Eva Ayllón, Andrés Prado, Gianmarco, Carlos Aguirre, Lucho Gonzalez, Pedro Aznar, Eric Marienthal, Arturo Sandoval, Anthony Cox, Santi De Briano, Chucho Valdez, Luis Salinas and Jerry Gonzales among others.
• Creator of an innovative way of teaching music through different musical themes like harmony, ear traning, solfeggio, rhythmic aspects, improvisation, afroperuvian and latin rhythms and more.